I was wondering how to spend the two hours of Fathom-time and I decided to see if I could import the data from my iTunes library. I had to fiddle with things a bit, but after
- choosing export from the iTunes File menu (not Export Library...), and then
- importing this .txt file into an Excel spreadsheet,
- cleaning up the data a bit,
- exporting it as tab delineated .txt file, and then
- importing this file into Fathom I had my data in the form of a collection.
It wouldn't be too much trouble to design a lesson where we compiled students' iTunes library information and looked for trends among classes or found the equation of the line that fits the dot plot of song length vs. file size. I am sure I will get time to look at this over the course of the next few weeks.